Trump shows openness to the possibility of Elon Musk purchasing TikTok, signaling potential developments ahead of a major business deal.
President Donald Trump recently stated he is open to Elon Musk purchasing TikTok.
This announcement comes at a critical time as the social media platform faces potential bans in the United States.
Trump made these comments during a press conference where he also introduced a major investment plan called Stargate.
TikTok faces ban in the US due to national security concerns
TikTok, owned by the Chinese company ByteDance, has been under scrutiny due to national security issues.
A law enacted on January 19, 2025, requires ByteDance to sell its ownership of TikTok. If this sale does not happen, the app could face a nationwide ban.

Trump had previously signed an executive order that delayed this ban for 75 days, but the deadline for a resolution is approaching.
To address the situation, Trump plans to hold a meeting with aides to discuss possible investors for TikTok.
This meeting is crucial as it could lead to a deal that would prevent the app from being banned entirely.
Trump indicated he would like to see TikTok remain operational, emphasizing its importance to young voters and small businesses.
Trump expresses openness to possibility of Elon Musk purchasing TikTok ahead of potential ban
During the press conference, Trump expressed his willingness to let Musk buy TikTok. He noted that the platform is “worthless” without proper U.S. permits.
Trump stated that with these permits, TikTok could be valued at up to a trillion dollars.
He also mentioned Oracle’s CEO, Larry Ellison, as another potential buyer, suggesting that both could play significant roles in the app’s future.

“I would be, yeah,” Trump said.
“I met with owners of TikTok, the big owners, it’s worthless if it doesn’t get a permit,” Trump continued.
“It’s not like you can take the US. The whole thing is worthless. With a permit it’s worth like a trillion dollars.
“So, what I’m thinking saying to somebody is buy it and give half to the United States of America and we’ll give you the a permit and they’ll have a great partner, the United States.”

Trump believes that if TikTok is sold, the U.S. should hold a substantial stake in it.
He has suggested a potential joint venture where the U.S. could own 50% of TikTok.
This approach aims to ensure that American interests are protected while allowing the app to continue operating in the U.S. market.
Trump to discuss TikTok sale amid possible ban
President Donald Trump is set to hold a meeting to discuss potential investors for TikTok.
This meeting comes as the app faces a possible ban in the United States due to national security concerns. The situation has created a sense of urgency for finding a buyer.
The upcoming meeting will include key figures such as Vice President JD Vance, Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick, and White House national security adviser Mike Waltz.
They will discuss potential buyers, including the software company Oracle and the investment firm Blackstone.
“I would like to see TikTok remain alive,” the president said.

Importance of TikTok in the election
During a recent flight on Air Force One, Trump noted the significance of TikTok in his political strategy.
He claimed that the app helped him win the young vote by 36 points in the last election.
This demographic is crucial, as Republicans typically struggle to attract younger voters.
Trump believes that keeping TikTok alive could help maintain this support.
Several potential investors have emerged as candidates to buy TikTok.
Aides for Vice President Vance have been reaching out to various parties to discuss their interest.
One notable bidder is the artificial intelligence startup Perplexity AI, which proposed a merger with TikTok’s U.S. operations.
Another group, organized by billionaire Frank McCourt, has expressed interest in acquiring TikTok.
This consortium recently brought in Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian as a strategic adviser.

They have reportedly offered $20 billion in cash to ByteDance for TikTok’s U.S. platform.
If successful, they plan to incorporate blockchain technology to give users more control over their data.
Jesse Tinsley, founder of Employer.com, is also in the running. He has formed a consortium that includes the CEO of Roblox and is offering more than $30 billion for TikTok.
Other notable potential bidders include Microsoft and former Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin.
Additionally, the video platform Rumble has shown interest in joining a group to purchase TikTok.
The deadline for TikTok’s sale is quickly approaching.
As the April 5 deadline nears, the pressure is mounting for ByteDance to find an approved buyer.
If TikTok is not sold by this date, the law that bans it in the U.S. will come into effect.
Although Trump has indicated he may extend the deadline if necessary, the lack of a clear path forward has created uncertainty for TikTok users.
